Works in Baltimore
Photo credit: Breck Chapman
|Name:||Loft Historic Districts|
|Address:||Near the University of Maryland Campus in downtown Baltimore|
|Standing? Some||Year: Late 19th century|
The Loft Historic District North area is architecturally significant for its excellent, massive, brick vertical manufactories which date from 1870-1915 and represent the finest collection of large, Victorian, Romanesque, and early modern industrial design in Baltimore. They are the works of important local architects including Frederick, Parker & Thomas, Charles L. Carson, and Charles Cassell.
The buildings are noteworthy as local adaptations of industrial designs in other American cities by such noteworthy nationally important architects as H. H. Richardson. Many have fine architectural features such as cast iron storefronts that are among the best examples of this building element in Baltimore City. Historically, this area housed some of Baltimore's leading industrial firms, especially clothing manufacturers. It was in this area that Baltimore's garment industry grew to national importance. The district takes in some of the most notable firms of the late 19th century Baltimore industry including E. Rosenfeld & Company, Hamburger Brothers, Brigham Hopkins Company, Strauss Brothers, and M. S. Levy & Sons.