George A Frederick: Prominent Baltimore Architect

Baltimore Churches












Baltimore Churches

St. Vincent de Paul Church

St. Vincent de Paul Church interior renovations
Address: 120 N. Front Street
Standing? Yes Year: 1873-85 (renovations)

Design attributed to first priest, Father John Baptist Gildea. Brick, painted; 2 ½ stories, rectangular, gabled roof, front 3-tiered octagonal tower on square base and surmounted by dome, three front entrance bays articulated by paired pilasters; round arched 2nd-story windows, center statuary niche, frieze with gilded swags above each pilaster; sanctuary added later. Greek Revival with Georgian tower. Private.

Frederick's interior renovations included removal of second balcony for slaves (1873), and removal of side balconies and erection of an altar baldachin (1885).

Added to the National Register of Historic Places 2/12/1974.

More information